Arts, Culture & Heritage Pillar Update
The Pillar met on April 24 at the Colac Otway Performing Arts and Cultural Centre in Colac.
- Cr Margot Smith and Harriet Gaffney presented the recently made film: Bells Beach Reserve.
- Una McAlinden presented on the success, current focus and vision for the Celtic Festival.
- Irene spoke to the Pillar about the challenges and successes of the Colac Makers’ Space.
The Pillar discussed the presentations and the themes which emerged. These included:
- Recognition of our First People, the very long story of this region’s history and the importance of the engagement of Wadawurrung in both the making of the film and the Celtic Festival.
- The value of our cultural heritage.
- Care for land and place and sustainability.
- The value of the arts and creative expression in our communities at the local level as epitomised by the Maker’s Space.
- No formal decisions were required.
Projects for focus during the year include:
- The Pillar agreed a review of our work should take place at the next meeting.