Arts, Heritage & Culture Pillar Update
Geelong UNESCO City of Design Framework Plan
Christine Silvestroni, Coordinator Economic Development, Economic Development and Events Economy, Investment and Attraction, City of Greater Geelong.
- Established a working group to oversee the City of Design framework plan.
- Aim to commence framework consultation soon, including stakeholder engagement.
- Geelong Design week –collaborating with Deakin presenting a two-day symposium with 6 key-note speakers exploring how design and creativity can be used to develop cities into innovation ecosystems. We encourage you all to get along to this event.
- We are really pleased with the cross section of creative events presented and have learnt we need to start at the grass roots level to get people engaged. Congratulations to everyone who has put their hand up to run an event.
Creative Industries Strategy
Jennifer Cromarty, CEO, Committee for Geelong
- Established a working group of stakeholders to deliver on our purpose of “Designing Our Best Future.”
- Creative Industries Strategy will support the long-term growth of Geelong by attracting and retaining people to the region.
- The region has significant opportunities to grow the sector – a strong creative industries will impact on social and cultural experiences.
- Good news is we have been asked to submit full application.
- We have significant investment already from an infrastructure perspective. Still open if anyone would like to make a small contribution to show there is support for the submission.
- Exploring what private sectors could do to leverage opportunities. Looking at local planning growth opportunities in Geelong we could harness.
- Next steps will be to investigate ways to engage at grass roots level and look for collaboration opportunities across the region. Hoping to have a consultant on board before the end of this financial year.
G21 Reps Updates
Geelong Regional Library Corporation – Patti Manolis
- We are deepening our engagement with Indigenous peoples in our region with an initiative that will have emphasis on Indigenous heritage and collections. The project will include a marketing campaign and programmed events.
- Partnership events coming up – International Folk Alliance, Geelong Design Week, Feminist Writers Festival, travelling photo booth/wobble box.
Borough of Queenscliffe – Shannon Di Lisio
- Upcoming events include the Queenscliffe Literary festival (May) and the Bellarine lighthouse film festival (June)
- Partnering with Searoad Ferry on several campaigns.
- About to commence our community engagement project to find out how Councillors can better support the community in nurturing their organisations.
- Queenscliff community hub – architects have been appointed and we are in the process of developing a community consultation plan that will engage the views of local residents before design work commences.
Surf Coast Shire - Harriet Gaffney
- The final Winchelsea Entrance Sculpture is to be installed on Friday 28th Feb.
- Deans Marsh Sports and Arts Coalition - received $75,000 in funding from Creative Vic to transform 5 different clubrooms into arts spaces during down time. Deans marsh proving to be an innovative and agile creative space.
- Surf Coast Arts Trail coming up in August– we want to further involve our local communities in the management of the event and provide employment opportunities for emerging arts workers.
Osborne Park Association – Susan Allsop
- Momentous night at council (Tuesday 25th Feb), with the adoption of the proposed Osbourne Park master plan development.
- There has been a 3-year delay due to mould issues/drainage. Significant heritage restoration is required.
Jennifer Cromarty, Committee for Geelong
- Committee are involved with the Deakin Symposium delivery – Design City: building an innovation ecosystem 18/19 March.
- Brainstorming ideas about what we should do to celebrate our Cefco 20th Anniversary. Welcome any ideas around this.
Geelong Heritage centre – Mark Beasley
- Identifying WW1 honour boards and digitally photographing them.
- Great outcome of this project is that it engages photographers in the local areas.
- Currently processing the raw images to a refreshed website and volunteers are indexing the honour board. This will be an amazing resource, capturing social history that will be accessible online.
Back to Back Theatre – Katherine Branch
- Geelong Design Week - presenting ‘From Stage to Screen’’ discussing how we are venturing onto screens with content created and filmed in Geelong.
- Our annual camp weekend will be held on 14/15 March - A wild weekend of theatre and art making workshops.
- Commenced education programs with Nelson Park, and working on an education project with Geelong High School
- The Shadow Whose Prey the Hunter – more big touring plans for this over course of this year.
- Alice Nash will be moving on, joining the Australia Council as the Executive Director, Arts Investment. Soon to commence the recruitment process to replace CEO.
Golden Plains Shire - Kim Biggs
- Launched Creative Wanderings- a publication containing artwork and details of artists community arts groups, encouraging residents and visitors to interact with the local cultural industry.
- Adopted the inaugural civic collection policy and commenced work on an audit of our civic collection.
- Golden Plains constructing a new chamber facility in Bannockburn, working on pulling together an arts exhibition for the chamber area.
- Golden Plains Community Arts Trail to be held March 21 – supporting community group Golden Plains Arts inc. in the organisation of the event showcasing artists in various venues throughout the shire.
Geelong Arts Centre - Joel McGuinness
- New members are now utilizing our Creative Engine co-working space.
- It is full steam ahead for our $128 million Stage 3 Redevelopment. ARM Architects have been appointed – they also designed the library and understand Geelong. Charcoal Blue international theatre consultants will also be working on project.
- We are launching our first Reconciliation Action Plan with the community on Thurs 6th March.
- Creative Development show ‘Geelong Sweats’ coming up 13/14th March. This is part of our pilot project making grants available to local artists showcasing their work.
- Closed ‘Double Delicious’ with Elizabeth Cheong – audiences were given the opportunity to literally taste the story with food served throughout performance.
Geelong Art Gallery Jason Smith
- Closed Summer program, installing Autumn program and focussing on Geelong Design Week
- Resonance and Reflection – a collaboration with students from Deakin exploring potential design schemes for the future expansion of the Geelong Gallery.
- 125 Year Anniversary next year, looking at ways we can celebrate this milestone.
- Completed a 9-week digitization program with Creative Victoria- this was a huge summer project.
- Gerard Mullaly has recently been elected as the new President of the Board. Trent Sullivan has also been elected as a member of the Board.
Platform Arts- Ilana Russell
- Courthouse Youth Arts has had a name change to Platform Arts.
- Open audition workshops for ensemble will commence March 21.
- Collaborating with two artists from China. – unsure when this will occur due to Corona Virus restrictions.
- Exciting announcement with Deakin Symposium to be held 12/13 March – ‘Energetical’ will focus on the knowledge and experiences of women artists living or working regionally in Victoria.
City of Greater Geelong - Martin Paten
- Current projects include Wool Museum review, Potato Shed refresh, feasibility and business case for Geelong Art Gallery going forward.
- Stage 3 Geelong Arts Centre – exploring different ways the public can connect at street level.
- Public art across green spine – engaging with artists about their aspirations and what council can do to support them.
- 10k prize for fashion designer as part of exhibition program coming up.
- Privileged to be on the Design Week committee – great to see so much talent around region.
- Will be keeping you informed as much as possible ensuring there are opportunities for engagement from G21.
Christine Silverstone – City of Greater Geelong
- Unesco have appointed 66 new cities into network – very pleased to announce Ballarat and Bendigo have been added as new members. Together, that is four creative cities within Victoria.
- Creative Victoria are keen to work with us to see how we can leverage opportunities.
Trent Sullivan – City of Greater Geelong
- Osbourne House plan – aiming to return heritage building to former glory.
- Money has been set aside for Potato Shed business case.
- Currently working on a Christmas Program for central Geelong and exploring what we can do. Aiming to dream big but it must be achievable.
- Green spine project decision – await to see how unfolds.
- There is still a lot of work to be completed in relation to the Geelong Heritage Fund – more information will be available soon.