Arts, Heritage & Culture Pillar Update
The Pillar met on Wednesday 24 June via zoom.
Martin Paten, Manager, Arts & Culture, City of Greater Geelong, reported on the formation by the City if Greater Geelong of GCAR (Geelong Covid Arts Recovery Advisory Panel) and its early outcomes.
The City of Greater Geelong established GCAR as a means to understand the needs and impact of the pandemic on the lives of the region’s artists.
- he City received 60 high quality applications from artists and creatives from the Geelong region and ultimately selected 21 for the Panel representing diverse industries, artforms, demographics, age, gender and cultural backgrounds.
- 4 workshops over 4 weeks with different key themes each week were established to Understand, Stabilise, Sustain and Rebuild the arts and creative industries in the region.
- Urgent and longer term needs to rebuild the arts, creative, entertainment, cultural and heritage sectors in Geelong were tabled at the 30 June meeting of Council with recommendations broadly including:
- Industry skills and training to adapt to an evolving world
- Profiling of the arts in the region through a dedicated new marketing campaign
- Grants and funding to create – the ability to create sitting at the heart of the arts
- Collaboration and connection to enable and expand cross-industry partnership.
G21 CEO Elaine Carbines reported that all Pillars and the G21 Board are now meeting via ZOOM
- COVID economic and social recovery focus for G21 now
- Joint statement from key advocacy groups re investment priorities to be published.
Key Projects and initiatives discussed:
All representatives reported on their COVID-19 operating contexts, but there has been much progress on key strategic priorities, great innovations, and demonstrable resilience across the diverse AH&C Pillar. A few highlights include:
Committee for Geelong - Jennifer Cromarty
- JC advised CfG awaiting outcome of RDV BSW funding submission for Creative Industries Strategy for G21 region.
- CfG hosted a Creative Industries Forum for CfG members via Zoom on Tuesday 30 June at 11.30am. Guests - Jason Smith, Dr Fiona Lee, Joel McGuiness and Tony Grybowski.
Geelong Library and Heritage Centre - LHC Deb Sansom
- Libraries re-opened on 09 June – moving to new opening hours from 06 July
- Word for Word National Non-Fiction Festival - November 2020 – this year’s theme is Life, Changing. GLHC hopeful of some form of physical event though planning for a physical/online hybrid event underway.
Surf Coast Shire – Harriet Gaffney
- August’s Arts Trail has been transitioned to PORTAL: An online arts festival and gathering space featuring Surf Coast creatives of all disciplines encouraging connection, collaboration, community and creativity.
- Council supported the provision of $60k in the next Budget to the Multidisciplinary Arts Committee, who have been working on the management model and plans for the redevelopment of the old Sport and Recreation Centre in Beach Rd to a Community Arts Space.
Golden Plains Shire – Kim Biggs
- Civic Collections Audit is complete and council has undertaken a range of strategies to support the further preservation and development of the collection as a result.