Economic Development Pillar Update
A meeting of the G21 Economic Development Pillar took place on 4th October at the City of Greater Geelong.
Geelong Port Development Strategy (Stakeholder engagement summary) presentation from Stuart Christie (Vic Regional Channels Authority) and Richard Hill (GHD)
- Conducted 32 stakeholder engagements including existing and future tenants, port users, owners, service providers, agencies & authorities.
- Emerging issues include positive trade outlook, growing container exports, increasing landside transport tasks, access to former Ford sites, transport infrastructure.
Colac Otway Major Project updates presented by Michael Swanson and Simon Clark (Colac Otway Shire)
- Apollo Bay Harbour redevelopment - Seeking government funding for the urgent two phase repair to the harbor – phase 1 - $14.6 million, phase 2 - $200,000 for development plan plus $17 million for works – EOI’s, the harbour currently contributes $43 million in economic growth, so positive for funding approval.
- Apollo Bay Tourism Resort - Hinterland residential tourist accommodation for 880 people including: 180 hotel rooms, 82 villas, a wellness centre, 25mt pool, restaurant, retail tenancies and staff accommodation, the panel hearing is underway and the minister will make a decision late 2018/2019 on the application.
- Great Ocean Road Trails – four projects being developed to improve them.
- Apollo Bay Economic Development Strategy currently being developed, briefing to Council October 10.
David Peart (GMC) presented the new program GLAM (Girls Leading Advanced Manufacturing) & GFLOI (Geelong Future Leaders of Industry)
- Immersion programs for year 9 & 10 students to experience and learn about the diversity of exciting careers and pathways in advance manufacturing and engineering, coordinated by Geelong Manufacturing Council with the support of Skilling the Bay and Geelong industry.