Sport and Recreation Pillar Activity
Latest Pillar Activity
Sports and Recreation Pillar
Recent Pillar Meetings: Thursday 2 March, 2012
- G21 Sport & Recreation Pillar Strategic Plan - two half day strategic planning workshops are to be held in April.
- Beechy Precinct Colac project - Colac Otway Shire has submitted an application for $1.5m to undertake work on netball courts, oval surface and improved lighting, while other funding sources are being explored to fully complete upgrade of the precinct.
- Regional Soccer Strategy - Strategy will be finalised shortly. A communications strategy, with key messages, will be developed. Once finalized, the strategy will be sent to Councils for endorsement, before going to the G21 Board for endorsement.
- Indoor Sports Strategy - The Geelong Indoor Recreation Facilities Strategy is being developed to provide guidance on the future provision and development of indoor recreation facilities for a 20 year time span. A meeting was held last week with relevant agencies and community groups on the strategy including the DSE, DEECD, Deakin University, Barwon Sports Academy and local sports clubs and associations. With an expected increase in the Waurn Ponds campus, there will be opportunities to establish better links with Deakin University and, in particular, to work with Sport Science students.
- Armstrong Creek Sports Development Strategy - Strategy progressing well. Meetings have been held with five key sport representatives, while meetings to be held with other growth area Councils to investigate how sports development has been funded within their areas.
- Healthy Parks Healthy People Project - Sue Noonan provided an update on the Healthy Parks Healthy People Program.
Next Pillar Meeting: Thursday 5 April, 2012