Sport & Recreation Pillar Update
Latest Pillar Activity
Sports and Recreation Pillar
G21 and Cricket Victoria Regional Cricket Strategy
- Stage 3: Vision, Principles and Framework is complete.
- On Wednesday 13th December 2017, The Project Control Group and Project Steering Group participated in a Vision and Principles Workshop. This workshop served as an important milestone in the project as we progressed into strategy development. The key insights of the Vision and Principles Workshops have been used to underpin our regional strategy for cricket.
- Stage 4: Draft Strategy Development is approaching completion with a draft report expected from the consultants by the end of March 2018 (for broader distribution in April). The Draft Strategy will include the gap analysis, draft strategy development and a set of prioritised regional and municipal action plans for consideration.
Regional Synthetic Soccer Pitch
- Construction completed March 2018.
- The official opening was on Monday 9th April 2018 with key stakeholders and many community members in attendance.
- Synthetic pitch development has led to other positive upgrades at the centre by way of improved female change facilities and resurfacing of the remaining outdoor netball courts.
G21 Regional Hockey Strategy
- The Project Control Group consisting of G21 Council representatives, Hockey Victoria, Hockey Geelong and the consultants (insideEDGE) have progressed the project into ‘Stage 3: Vision, Principles and Framework’. A workshop with Hockey Geelong and affiliated club representatives was held on Tuesday April 3 at Stead Park in Corio with very positive involvement from all attendees. A survey has been released for completion by hockey members, with the association and clubs committed to pushing for a strong response rate. The survey will close on May 1, we have had over 135 responses already which is a very positive response rate. The information collated from the surveys will form a critical component of the draft Strategy to be publicly exhibited in the coming months.
G21 Motocross Strategy
- Officers presented the G21 Motocross Strategy to the Sport & Recreation Pillar at its last meeting in March 2018.
- It was unanimously voted that the G21 Motocross Strategy remain as a priority amongst other projects.
- It was decided that the Pillar will continue to advocate and explore opportunities for the sport within the region as they arise.