State election outcome benefits the G21 region
With the election of a Labor State Government we look forward to the fulfilment of the pre-election commitments supporting ten of our Priority Projects:
- $318 million for planning and duplication of the Barwon Heads Road Stage 1 (Settlement Road - Reserve Road) and planning for Barwon Heads Road Stage 2 duplication (Reserve Road - Lower Duneed Road)
- $34.5 million to build a new secondary school in the Armstrong Creek Education Precinct
- $8.18+ million for land and construction of an Armstrong Creek CFA.
- $128 million towards GPAC Little Malop Street redevelopment (Stage 3 of masterplan).
- $102 million for the fifth and final stage of the GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park) redevelopment.
- Funding towards a Geelong Convention & Exhibition Centre through the Geelong City Deal.
- Establish a Great Ocean Road Agency, with an independent board and new planning approvals process, to protect the area and its environment
- Funding towards the Shipwreck Coast Master Plan stage two implementation through the Geelong City Deal.
- $340 million to build 18 new three-car trains for Geelong and Ballarat (to be delivered by 2021)
- $147 million towards rail line duplication between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds stations
- To update the express rail lines to run fast trains with the potential for full electrification of these lines with new electric regional rolling stock.
- A future Geelong Convention Centre has been declared a ‘strategic project’, requiring it to use 90 per cent local content under the Victorian Government’s Local Jobs First policy. This is consistent with the objectives of the GROW project, helping create jobs in disadvantaged areas.
- Funding towards the Malop Street Green Spine (stage two) through the Geelong City Deal.
- $550,000 to build a new covered walkway from the beachfront to the ferry berths on Portarlington Pier.
- $150,000 towards a business case assessing the viability of a multipurpose motor sports venue at Fiskville (Moorabool Shire). A G21 analysis of available sites suitable for a motocross facility across our region identified Fiskville as a potential option for consideration. G21 provided an in principle letter of support to Moorabool Shire with their proposal.
G21 has advocated strongly for these projects in a long lead-up to the election, well before party campaigning commenced. We are thankful for the endorsement they have received, and look forward to the implementation of these projects.
At a local level, G21 would like to congratulate the successful candidates for their election onto the Legislative Assembly; Lisa Neville MLA in Bellarine, Christine Couzens MLA in Geelong, John Eren MLA in Lara, Richard Riordan MLA in Polwarth and Darren Cheeseman MLA in South Barwon.
We would also like to congratulate the new Members representing Western Victoria in the Legislative Council; Jaala Pulford MLC, Beverley McArthur MLC, Gayle Tierney MLC, Stuart Grimley MLC and Andy Meddick MLC.
G21 will continue to work closely with our local members on projects of regional significance.
Click here to view a full list of Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries in the Victorian Government.