Transport Pillar update
Pillar members last met on August 8, 2017, for a special meeting with Regional Development Victoria to prepare for the Barwon Region Assembly.
The workshop on ‘improving the transport network across our region’ was convened to facilitate G21 Transport Pillar’s input into the Barwon Regional Partnership transport priority development for our region.
Representatives from Regional Development Victoria, Transport for Victoria, Barwon Regional Partnership, local government and pillar members attended the workshop and provided input on:
- Regional transport opportunities and challenges;
- Best practice transport initiatives; and,
- The government’s role in enabling these initiatives for Geelong.
The consolidated output from this meeting led to establishment of Barwon Regional Partnership’s three key transport priority themes that importantly align to G21 Transport Pillar priorities:
- Increase the rail service volume between Geelong and Melbourne, the frequency of rail services between Geelong–Colac–Warrnambool and establish the public transport connection to Torquay/Surf Coast.
- Further develop regional transport infrastructure and services planning to enable a truly integrated and sustainable private, public and active transport network, joining key population growth areas of Geelong, Bellarine and Surf Coast.
- Further develop road and rail infrastructure planning, joining key population centres, destinations and production sources with Avalon, Melbourne and seaports.
Contacts for information: Karly Lovell (Pillar Leader), Cr Chris Potter (G21 Board Liaison).