Transport Pillar update
Latest Pillar Activity
The Transport Pillar met in April 2018. Key items and activity in these meetings included:
- Justin Giddings – CEO Avalon Airport provided a briefing on Avalon Airport’s recent announcement -Air Asia international flights from Avalon starting late 2018.
- West Gate Distributor- The Pillar discussed the block to progressing with the project put forth by the Opposition/Greens. G21’s possible involvement in the open letter alongside other major organisations such as VECCI, Australian Logistics Council, Victorian Transport Association, UDIA, Infrastructure Partnerships Australia.
- Searoad Ferries provided a presentation on the upgrade plans for the ferry terminals and the Pillar agreed to add the project to the Project Priorities for the Transport Pillar to assist with support for additional government funding to complete the works estimated to be $38.5 million.
- The Pillar agreed to pass a motion to argue against any changes to the speed limit on the highway. This was in response to calls to change the speed limit to 110km/h from pockets of the community. The increased accident risks and infrastructure implications to make this change is not supported by the Transport Pillar.
- CoGG provided a brief on Building Better Bike Connections Project and the community consultation that has taken place. Additional information can be found on the website, link provided : https://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/betterbikeconnections/article/item/8d5465c3e31c2fa.aspx
- The Transport Pillar welcomed Cr Eddie Kontelj and (Deputy) Cr Jim Mason as new members.