Transport Pillar Update
G21 Road Transport Strategy and 2019 Actions
Vicki Shelton presented on the G21 Road Transport Strategy and 2019 Actions.
G21 Regional Road Transport Plan
- Objectives and Purpose
- Required Road Upgrades - short, medium, long term - status of short term
- What's missing
- Priority projects
- Define scope of works - e.g. upgrade
- Completed projects - describing project, outcomes, budget, funding bodies, timeframes, photo - story
- Definitions short/medium/long term.
Geelong CBD – Truck Restrictions
Guy Wilson-Browne discussed the Central Geelong Freight Program review – led by TfV and endorsed by the City of Greater Geelong.
Action: Awaiting finalisation of the Transport Network Operating Plan and funding to deliver the actions.
Mark Koliba updated the G21 Transport Pillar on the “Fixing Country Roads Program”. It is a merit based program with co-contribution being mandatory with delivery 2019/20.
The program is local roads focused and does include bridges.
Announcement of $100M to continue road safety programs funded by TAC – wire rope barriers.
- Bellarine Highway - Leopold to Wallington
- Surfcoast Highway - Torquay to Mt Duneed
- Fyansford Gheringhap Road
- Princes Hwy - Pambula to Warrnambool
- 6/16 for SW region
The current program includes:
- Anglesea Road
- Bacchus Marsh Road
The evidence in the reduction of fatalities highlights the benefits gained by the wire rope barrier works. There is also a high number of barriers being hit which could correlate to saving a life or reducing a serious incident.
Great Ocean Road - Councillor Brian Crook
Councillor Brian Crook proposed to the G21 Transport Pillar that the Great Ocean Road (GOR) is included as part of the Federal Government.
Princes Hwy Corridor Strategy - Sydney to Port Augusta - strategy for whole road network going forward. Can GOR be considered as part of this register rather than stand alone?
Note GOR authority to go through to State Government to establish the authority then advertise for board / chair. DEWLP developing the framework management plan with other agencies. Authority once established can take the document to the community.
Speed Limits Review in Region – Guy Wilson-Browne
- Speed limits to be reviewed in the region - noting fatality of Queenscliff / Portarlington Road at Andersons Road.
- Whole of Bellarine aim to get consistent and safer speed limits. Pursue sensible speed limit changes in consultation with the community.
- Speed limits now a Pillar of the Safe Roads Strategy - along with safe infrastructure, safe behaviour, safe vehicles.
- Evidence and statistics - time changes, incidents, safer for guests our visitors - reciprocal arrangements to international .
Bus Stop Relocation – Paul Westcott
Paul has requested details regarding the bus stop relocation outside Ryrie Street - Botanical Café / Normanby Street access turning movements - has a bid gone in to Ryrie Street medians for storage lanes/indents?
Election promises - status of rail, road, port, air, active transport, public transport - Robert Kuebler
- Duplication of rail - South Geelong to Waurn Ponds
- Rail infrastructure planning
- Note RRL - Wyndham demand
- Spirit of Progress working group established to discuss fast rail opportunities to Melbourne
- Reference to the extension of rail to Armstrong Creek to Torquay
- Reference to the Station Commuter Plan assessment of changing parking at Geelong Station, impacts to other stations and investigate alternate travel modes. By 2041 double existing carparking (3,000).
Election Deputy Leader
At the 12 February 2019 meeting the G21 Transport Pillar elected Guy Wilson-Browne, Director City Services as the Deputy Leader of the G21 Transport Pillar.