Transport Pillar Update
The Pillar met on April 11 at Geelong Council Chambers. (Note: A further A meeting of the G21 Transport Pillar took place on June 18 - there is currently no written report available).
- Jozef Vass, Transport Coordination Manager from DEDJTR
- Adam Lorensene from DOT
- Mark Koliba from Regional DirectorMetro at Vicroads
- Murray Rance from Port Phillip ferries
Summary of the presentations:
a. Geelong Line Upgrade
- Will include signal upgrades – current system is paper based, very outdated.
b. Network Operating Plan
- 83% of people drive to work.
- Aim is to get more people using public transport, walking, cycling.
- To get down to 50% of people driving aim for 2047.
- Need to look into more achievable targets over the next 5-10 years.
c. Building Better Bike Connections
- Western Link has a preferred tender ready to go.
- There are two stages, CBD to River and River to WPonds.
- Stage 1 is funded and pending approval, stage 2 will need to be looked at for additional funding.
- 30th April Community Question Time – being a priority project of this pillar, it would be good to see stakeholders from this group come along with support.
d. Priority Trucks and Freight
- Laneways projects, pushing to replace larger delivery trucks with smaller trucks and changing access times – engagement to commence.
- With Coles in town there will still be large trucks coming through.
- Aim is to reduce trips through the City when it is not the destination.
- Making it hard to easily pass through but easy to enter and park.
e. Green Spine Stage 2 – Bus Changes
- Will need to move bus route while works being done.
- 80% of people get off at Moorabool St.
- Options proposed. All with different pricing – Brougham / Moorabool or Brougham/Hybrid Moorabool/Yarra.
- Small changes in bus routes have very large changes in costs.
- The Hybrid option is the overall preferred option with the Geelong Authority.
f. Car Parking at Stations
- To encourage travel on trains, need to improve the bus/walking options to the stations.
- There is currently a 10 year action plan.
- The plan supports the Revitalisation of Central Geelong Project.
g. Fixing Country Roads Program
- Announcements made in May relating to this item including round 2 of projects funded for delivery in 2019/2020- %70million to all rural and regional councils in Vic.
h. Geelong to Melbourne Ferry Update
- The vessel is currently under construction.
- Should be doing sea trials in Geelong by October.
- The vessel will be named “The Geelong Flyer”.
- Currently looking at reducing travel time. Confident this will be approved by the time the Geelong service is up and running.
- Capability for people to bring their bicycles.
- Goal is to be officially running by the first week of December 2019.
- Parking in Geelong is an issue and they are working with PTV for best options.
- Currently in discussions with Cunningham Pier regarding parking as well as boarding options.
- Current travel time is 100 mins.
- Marketing focus’ on – a guaranteed seat. Wi-Fi, able to work while travelling, relaxing ocean views.
- The main idea is to get people off the roads and using the bay.
- Trials completed last year were very successful.
Transport for Victoria no longer exists and has been brought back in to Dept of Transport (DOT).