Economic Development Pillar Update
The Pillar met on 13 August via Zoom.
Barwon River Parklands – Helen Watts
The Corangamite Catchment Management Authority region is defined by four river basins – the Moorabool, Barwon, Lake Corangamite and Otway Coast.
- The BRP has a shared vision to be well connected, diverse and healthy waterway landscape that balances recreation, conservation, respect of place and culture, as well as provides for everyday enjoyment of nature, community liveability and wellbeing.
- Received funding from DELWP through IWM to produce a Business Case for a Masterplan, this was delivered by consultants (Aalto) to CCMA 30 March, we are now seeking further funding ($1.1M from State Government) to develop the Masterplan (planning phase).
- Joint funding application for critical riparian land easement/acquisition submitted via DELWP’s Distinctive Areas landscapes – Bellarine Fund.
Geelong and The Great Ocean Road City Deal - Virginia Todd
The Geelong City Deal is a 10-year agreement between the Australian, Victorian and Local Governments to deliver $370 million of new investment in the Geelong and Great Ocean Road regions. We have thirteen commitments and comprising over 30 individual projects:
- $183.3 million Australian Government
- $172 million State Government
- $14.4 million Local Government.
Geelong City Deal mandatory targets (on the large-scale projects) are to ensure we support the local workforce, both working with GROW and to ensure a 1% Indigenous employment target.
The Geelong City Deal was signed 11 March 2019, with the first project milestone ($6.9M) payments received June 2020, the release of the first Annual Progress Report will be issued in the coming weeks.
The key commitments include:
- Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Revitalising Central Geelong Action Plan
- Geelong Waterfront Safe Harbour project
- Shipwreck Coast Master Plan and Great Ocean Road Infrastructure
- Deakin University Future Economy Precinct
- Queenscliff Ferry Terminal
- Smart cities.
We are now finalising the detailed project plans that outline how the projects will be delivered and will continue to actively pursue opportunities to fast track projects to kick start the economy as COVID restrictions ease.