Environment Pillar Update
The Environment Pillar met on 15 July 2019 at Barwon Water Building. Focus of the meeting was Renewable Energy.
• Karen Weaver - Renewable Energy Roadmap
• Tristan Edis - Green Energy Markets
• Karen Weaver on behalf of Kirsten Lee - Acciona
• Lachie McLean - Surf Coast Shire
• Dan Cowdell - Geelong Sustainability
• Dan Brooke – Mondo
The presentations started with Karen providing an oversight of the work she is doing on behalf of DELWP to develop a regional renewable energy roadmap, Tristan Edis provided background data on the renewable energy markets then each of the presenters provided valuable insights from their organisations’ perspectives on how they were implementing renewable energy projects whether that be from a private or community perspective.
The session then moved to a general discussion around what was top of mind following the discussions. Points raised in the conversation included:
• The importance of education on renewable energy options and use.
• Harnessing the energy and enthusiasm of interested community groups already keen to progress renewable energy projects.
• Identifying how we can become more efficient in our use of energy.
• Identifying the larger projects that will help us such as the Colac WEB.
• Working out how to achieve success with projects; the right place, right scale and right buy-in
• No decisions made.
Topics to be covered for the remainder of the year include:
• Waste – e-waste (16 September meeting).
• IWM Northern and Western Growth Areas (18 November meeting).
Next Meeting: 16 September 2019.