Sport & Recreation Pillar Update
The G21 Sport and Recreation Pillar held the first meeting for 2019 at the Surf Coast Shire on Monday 4 March with excellent representation from member organisations.
The meeting was the first for new Chair Shaan Briggs (Surf Coast Shire) and Deputy Dean Veenstra (Golden Plains Shire), with everything running smoothly in amongst constructive and valuable discussion. Highlights included:
- S&R Pillar endorsement of the G21 Regional Hockey Strategy
- Update on the Kardinia Park Masterplan
- Discussion on the Pillar workshop priority projects
- Receiving a proposal from Basketball Victoria to support a G21 Regional Planning Strategy for the sport
- Discussion on a potential sports strategy update forum session in July
- Receiving a proposal from Golf Australia to support a G21 Regional Planning Strategy for the sport
- Receiving an update on the CORA proposal
- Identification of sports that could benefit from potential future strategic work including; basketball, netball, bowls, golf, cycling/mountain bike riding, yachting/sailing, motorsport.
G21 Regional Hockey Strategy
The Final Strategy was endorsed by the Project Control Group on 25 February 2019, and the G21 Sport & Recreation Pillar at the 4 March 2019 meeting. The 5 Councils will receive the Strategy for endorsement at March and April Council meetings, and following this, the G21 Regional Hockey Strategy will be presented to the G21 Board for noting.
G21 Regional Cricket Strategy
The G21 & Cricket Victoria Barwon Regional Cricket Strategy is currently in its final stages of completion. Feedback received during the public exhibition period is currently being considered by the Project Control Group with the aim to present the final draft to the G21 Sport & Recreation Pillar and G21 LGA’s prior to June 2019. Following Council endorsement, the Strategy will be considered by the G21 Board for noting.